this is a full-time, permanent position; 35-40hrs/wk, $15/hr; includes some weekend work
Start date: September 3, 2018
The Nanaimo Science and Sustainability Society (NS3) is hiring a full-time outreach educator. NS3 is a non-profit registered charity whose mission is to inspire families and develop their interest in science and sustainability through hands-on learning. Throughout the year NS3 offers science outreach programs to kids and families through school programs, at our science studio and at community events. Programs range from 1 hour activities to full-day workshops to running a booth at community events. The outreach educator will work closely with NS3’s Outreach Coordinator to facilitate workshops, assist with activity development and teach NS3 programs.
Specific duties include:
- Preparing materials for outreach programs;
- Delivering NS3 programs to groups of kids and families;
- Training youth leaders (high school students) and volunteers;
- Assisting with the development of new activities;
- Have a passion for outreach and teaching science;
- A BSc/BA in Science (Biology, Chemistry, Math, RMOT, Physics, etc.) or Education (must also have successfully completed some university science courses);
- Be a self-motivated and conscientious person who can work independently and in teams;
- Have experience working with kids in a camp or educational setting;
- Have experience developing science activities/curriculum;
- Be willing and able to work outside with groups of kids in all types of weather;
- Be willing to work some evenings;
- Be willing to work Saturdays;
- Be able to lift up to 35 lbs;
- Be willing to have a criminal background check.
Send a pdf copy of your cover letter (limit 1pg) and resume (limit 2pgs) highlighting relevant education and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NS3 Outreach Educator” in the subject line. Please include your last name as part of all file names (e.g., Smith_Resume.pdf).
Deadline for applications: June 8, 2018
We are currently looking for volunteers to help out with our citizen science research project in spring 2018. To find out more about this and other volunteer opportunities please fill out our volunteer application or contact us directly. Our next volunteer intake will be January/February of 2018 and at that time we will hold a volunteer orientation for new volunteers.